Monday, January 30, 2012

Frog Cars

Ayuthaya, Thailand

I thought I had seen all of the Tuk-tuks that there are in Thailand. The insane, fast ones in Bangkok and Chiangmai, the Laotian ones, complete with Che stickers, and even the Jumbos of Luang Prabang. But the Tuk-tuks here are frog-like things, weird little Daihatsus that are slow and almost art-deco in form.

I avoid Tuk-tuks like the plague, but yesterday afternoon, my hostess at the Baan Lotus guesthouse talked me into a three- hour tour. Ominous words for the TV generation.

It was 90 degrees and 85% humidity so what the hell. Three couples and myself so I got to ride up front with our jolly driver, Mr. "fifteen" minutes. At each stop he would say the required time. By the third stop, he would grin, look at me until I started giggling and then he would say "fifteen minutes!" and I would reply "Sip-ha" and then we would both laugh our heads off at our little joke.

So around the island we went. It was actually a hoot and a bargain. Six bucks for three hours and a good orientation.

Our last stop, before he dumped us at the night market for dinner, was the Elephant Centre. Of this, more later.

So the three hour tour ended well with fiery prawn curry at a riverside stand and an evening stroll home. Lovely

No comments:

Post a Comment